Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Tender Mercies

I was talking to a friend yesterday about our need to find a bread recipe we liked because we can't afford $6 a loaf for bread.  Guess what.  Today she called to say she was at a little bakery close to our house and they carry gluten free, dairy free, soy free, nut free bread.  It's normally $5 a loaf (a dollar cheaper than in the store) but they were marked down to $2.99 a loaf because the "sale by" date is 9/25.  She brought me a loaf of white and 7 grain bread to try.  My kids tried a sandwich and were THRILLED to have bread again.  They tried it plain and were just as excited!  They LOVED it!!  So I marched myself and my van full of children down to the bakery and bought 40 loaves....almost two whole shelves of my upright freezer.  I would have bought what they had left, but I didn't think I would have room in my freezer with the meat and veggies I already have in there.  If the kids have sandwiches 3-4 days a week and maybe a day of toast or french toast or whatever here and there, this bread should last me 15-20 weeks.  Yay!!  That's assuming my husband and I don't eat a lot of it, which I don't think we will.  The hubby can have the real stuff when he's working and away from the kids so I doubt he'll be tempted by this bread.  And I'm fine with leftovers or salads for lunch.

God is good!  He is fully aware of our needs and desires, even when they seem trivial.  Today my tender mercy from the Lord was a friend with keen eyes and a desire to help and a bakery sale that made bread a reality for my family for the next little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment